|Slow Cooker Tomato and Basil Soup with Olive Bread |
Cuisine: Slow Cooking
Author: Mediocre Mum
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 3 hours
Total time: 3 hours 10 mins
A lovely, easy to make soup using ripe tomatoes. Much better than the tinned variety and a lot less sugar.
- 1 TBSP of olive oil
- 450 grams of ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 TBSP of Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 300 ml or 430g jar of Passata with Basil
- 1 Bay leaf
- 900 ml of vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- 1 TBSP of Corn Starch
- 2 TBSP of water
- Crème freche
- Couple of pinches of dried basil to Garnish
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, sauté the onions, garlic and tomatoes for 3-5 minutes until they soften.
- Transfer to the Slow Cooker. Add the Vinegar, Bay Leaf, Passata, Stock and season with salt and pepper. Leave to cook for 3 hours on high or on low for 6 hours.
- Thirty minutes prior to serving, remove the Bay Leaf and use a hand held blender to puree the soup. Mix the corn flour with water and stir into the soup. This should help thicken it.
- Ladle into large bowls and top with a dollop of crème freche and some basil.
- Serve with some nice bread
Recipe by Mediocre Mum at http://mediocremum.com/2013/01/slow-cooker-tomato-and-basil-soup-with-olive-bread/