|Slow Cooker Lamb, Carrot and Pearl Barley Casserole with Dumplings |
Cuisine: Slow Cooking
Author: Mediocre Mum
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 7 hours
Total time: 7 hours 10 mins
I don't normally cook many casseroles and stews but this is the perfect meal for the current dropping temperatures. It's hard to describe the smell, but I came home to a lovely 'sweet' smell coming from the kitchen. The Pearl Barley gives it a thick creamy texture.
- 1 TBSP of Oil
- 300g of lamb (as you are slow cooking you could use mutton)
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 medium carrots, sliced diagonally
- 2 celery stick, chopped
- 45g of Pearl Barley
- 450 ml of Lamb Stock
- 2 pinches of dried parsley
- Dumplings - I use Aunt Bessie's finest frozen
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the lamb, season with salt and pepper and brown for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery and fry for a further 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer to the slow cooker. Sprinkle the barley over the lamb and vegetables, add the stock, stir and sprinkle the parsley on top.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- And 90 minutes before serving, place the frozen dumplings on top. After 45 minutes turn them.
- Ladle into large bowls and enjoy!
Recipe by Mediocre Mum at http://mediocremum.com/2013/01/slow-cooker-lamb-carrot-and-pearl-barley-casserole/