|Slow Cooker Sunday: Oxtail Soup |
Cuisine: South African
Author: Mediocre Mum
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 6 hours
Total time: 6 hours 20 mins
- 1 tin butterbeans
- 1.5kg (3 pounds) oxtail, segmented with fat trimmed (ask local butcher to do this for you)
- flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 30ml (2 tablespoons) olive oil
- 3 onions peeled and chopped
- 4 - 6 carrots - peeled
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250ml (1 cup) red wine
- 500ml (2 cups) beef stock
- 60ml (4 tablespoons) tomato purée
- 45ml (3 tbsp) brown sugar (optional)
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) dried thyme (optional)
- 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) teaspoon dried sweet basil (optional)
- 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) teaspoon dried parsley (optional)
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Dust the oxtail in seasoned flour, brown on all sides and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the onions, garlic, wine, tomato puree and stock.
- Add the sugar to the tomato mixture to neutralise the acidity.
- Rinse the beans thoroughly under running water and add to the meat.
- Add the herbs if desired.
- Cover and cook on low for a minimum of 6 hours until meat falls off bone. (Note: I found that the meat didn't fall off the bone so I fished it out of the slow cooker, scraped it and returned the meat to the dish.)
- Remove excess fat
- Serve with rice, mash potatoes, polenta, fresh bead.
- It also tastes delicious if left overnight and reheated the following day
Recipe by Mediocre Mum at http://mediocremum.com/2013/02/slow-cooker-sunday-oxtail-soup/