|Slow Cooker Sunday: Black-eyed Bean Soup with Peppers and Coconut Milk |
Cuisine: Slow Cooker
Author: Mediocre Mum
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 4 hours
Total time: 4 hours 10 mins
Weirdly, when I first came across this recipe I was attracted to the coconut milk, but when I thought about the combination of tastes I wasn't sure, but it really did work well.
- 1 TBSP of Sunflower Oil
- 1 large leek, trimmed and sliced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp of dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds crushed
- 500ml of vegetable stock
- 1 tsp of light brown sugar
- salt and pepper to season
- 2x 400g tins of black-eyed beans, drained and rinsed
- 400 ml tin of light coconut milk
- Dried Coriander
- lime wedges to serve
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the leek and peppers and sauté for 3-5 minutes until the onions soften. Add the chilli flakes and cumin seeds and mix well for about a minute.
- Add the stock, stir in the brown sugar until it dissolves and season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Put the beans into the slow cooker and pour over the stock mixture. Add the coconut milk, stir, cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Serve with wedges of lime, garnish with dried coriander and some crusty bread.
Recipe by Mediocre Mum at http://mediocremum.com/2013/02/slow-cooker-sunday-black-eyed-bean-soup-with-peppers-and-coconut-milk/