Since we’ve started using our Slow Cooker regularly we find that we are having way less Take Aways than we used to. Back in the day, by the time I got home from work, collected my daughter from childcare, bathed her and got her into bed. It was getting late and I couldn’t be bothered starting to cook, so we’d find ourselves whipping around the corner to McDonald’s or ordering in.
Last week I was inspired by Cabinet Stew to have a go at making Chinese Food in the Slow Cooker. It was a lovely change to the MSG filled ones that we were getting delivered and no more waking up in the middle of the night dying of thirst.
- 500g Stewing Beef
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 TBSP of Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp of brown sugar
- 1 cm grated ginger
- 80 ml reduced salt soy sauce
- 1 tsp of orange zest and the juice of the orange
- 1 tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 160 ml of beef stock
- Black Pepper
- 1 TBSP of Corn Flour dissolved into 2 TBSP of water
- one small head of broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tin (225g) of Bamboo Shoots and Water Chestnuts, drained.
- Place the beef and the onions in the bottom of the slower cooker season with pepper. In a mixing jug, combine the garlic, vinegar, sugar, ginger, soy sauce, orange zest, orange juice, spice and beef stock. Mix well and pour over the meat. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- An hour before serving stir in the cornflour, this should help it thicken and place the water chestnuts/shoots and broccoli on top. Replace the lid and cook for another hour. Gently mix before serving and serve on a bed of rice or noodles.
And if you subscribe to my blog, using the form in the sidebar you can get a free copy of my first ever eBook ‘There’s More to Slow Cooking than Stews – 10 Recipes to get you going’.
Disclosure: The meat was Courtesy of www.farmison.com; a one stop gourmet shop selling food and produce sourced from over 75 of the UK’s leading farms and producers. All the best quality, most popular and rarest cuts of award-winning meats, cheeses and greengrocer goods are all selected for their superior taste can all be delivered directly to the door of the home cook.