I’ve been blogging for over a year now and have learned shed loads. I’m just above a beginner but not quite hit the novice stage yet. I thought I would jot down a few of the things that I’ve learned along the way and share them with you. Hopefully it’ll save you a bit of time and headache. Happy Blogging! Thanks to those of you who may have recommended these to me along the way.
Here are My Top 10 WordPress Plugins:
- Akismet: a must have spam filter, it catches the majority of those pesky spam comments.
- Google XML Sitemaps: I didn’t know that you had to submit site maps to Google, Bing, Ask, Yahoo etc. I found a much more convoluted way of doing it and then found this little plug in which automatically submits your site map for you. Genius!
- WordPress.com Stats: Obsessed with your stats? You need to have an API Key from a wordpress.com blog. However, once you’ve set it up you’ll have concise at a glance stats such as Daily Visits, Top Posts, Top Searches and Most Active Posts.
- Google Analyticator: is another must have plug in for the stats obsessed, which generates detailed statistics about your visitors.
- WP Database Backup: if you’re like me, I’m dreadful at backing up my blog. This little plugin does it for you in case the unimaginable happens. I’ve configured mine to email me a backup once a week.
- Fast Secure Contact Form: allows visitors to contact you without giving your personal details.
- Sexy Book Marks: A great way to get your readers to submit your articles to numerous social bookmarking sites (e.g Digg, Delicious, Stumble Upon)
8. Link Within: highlights other posts on your blog with a thumbnail, encouraging your readers to stick around for a bit longer which is all good for your bounce rate.
9. Tweetmeme Retweet Button: Adds a button which easily lets you and your readers retweet your blog posts
10. WP Social Blogroll – allows you to tart up your blog roll, including titles of most recent posts and when it was last updated.
Do you have any others you would recommend? Please do pop them in the comments section.