Stop laughing! Overall, it wasn’t too bad except a few minor hiccups, which was mostly due to my being domestically challenged.
How to make them Mediocre Mum Style:
- Work out what the hell Dulce de Leche is??? Ask on twitter and then quickly ring a mate who is an RD person in the food industry, trained as dietician and all around genius in the kitchen.
- Blag said friend into getting some Dulce de Leche in town, bringing it around and bamboozle her into making the cupcakes with Madame.
- Stand back and watch the professional work.
- Learn that using a whisk in a circular motion is not whisking. Whisking is from side to side. If you want to ‘fold’ anything into it apparently you must use a figure 8 motion or you will knock all the lovely air you put into it????
- Make friend a coffee and send her on her way, thanking her profusely. Open wine.
- Let the cupcakes cool overnight.
- Wake up to Madame wanting to decorate the muffins first thing. Get slightly annoyed because you would rather being drinking coffee and tweeting.
- Don Apron.
- Follow recipe for icing to a T and don’t question that it calls for milk. Panic because the icing resembles pancake batter and would ooze out of the decorating bag. Quickly ask on twitter how to fix it. Add more icing sugar as suggested, nearly the whole box, mix, mix, mix and get more annoyed because it still isn’t working. Stress and start grumbling at Madame because she is throwing the last of the icing sugar around the kitchen. Grrr!
- Thanks to Twitter realize that I shouldn’t have put milk in it. Throw the first lot down the sink and start again.
- Omit the dried banana chips, not because I didn’t have any but because dried fruit makes me gag! :-)
So, what do you think? They’re absolutely delicious!! I think I could manage it on my own next time.