Did you know it’s National Curry Week this week 8th-15th October? Apparently, 73% of Brits say they love curry and 24% name it as their absolute favourite. We’re fans in our house as well.
Hence my offering this week for Slow Cooker Sunday, a place to share recipes and be inspired to try something new. You can either leave a link to your recipe in the Linky below but don’t worry if you don’t have a blog you can always leave your recipe in the comment section.
I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with this week as I’m always looking for new recipes to try. Don’t forget the Linky is open all week so you can always pop back later. There is a badge in the sidebar if you’re so inclined but not mandatory. :-)
- 250g of red lentils
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cumin seeds, roughly crushed
- 2 cm fresh root ginger, finely chopped
- 200g canned chopped tomatoes
- 600 ml vegetable stock
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 handfuls of frozen spinach
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- Natural Yoghurt
- 1TBSP sunflower oil
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed
- Pinch of turmeric
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Rinse the lentils well and place in the slow cooker with the onion, spices, ginger, tomatoes and stock. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours. Make sure the lentils are soft or you may chip a tooth.
- minutes before serving, stir in the frozen spinach. Peel and slice the eggs, placing them on top of the lentil mixture, return the cover and cook for another 30 minutes. Till the spinach and egg are heated through.
- To make the Tarka, heat the oil in the pan, add the spice and garlic and fry for 2 minutes.
- Spoon the lentil mixture into bowls, top with a dollop natural yogurt, sprinkle with Tarka and serve with warm Naans.
11 thoughts on “Slow Cooker Sunday – Spinach and Egg Tarka Dahl (7th Oct 2012)”
That sounds really nice but we’ll have to omit the eggs.
I’m sure it would be just as nice without them.
Thanks for adding me, I did meatballs yesterday ready for next week :)
You are so organised and thanks for joining in I always enjoy your recipes.
I’m beginning to think I need a slow cooker…
Makes my life a lot easier and we eat better and save some money! You can get a bog standard one for about £25. I have a cheap and cheerful Morphy Richard 3.5 litres.
Mmm, that looks delicious. We love curry here too :)
We tried out our new slow cooker for the first time today. I’ve done a quick blogpost and linked up.
Fabulous, thanks for joining in! Hope to see you next week.
Just trying to work out why your link isn’t showing, you’ve done everything right. I hope to sort it shortly.