We’re very good at eating at least one portion of fish a week. However, there are many benefits for having it twice a week. This week we’ve had Fish soup at the beginning of the week and have a Fish Pie penciled in for Friday.
Slow Cooker Sunday: Mixed Fish and Vegetable Soup
Recipe Type: Main
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 3 hours
Total time: 3 hours 20 mins
Three Fish and Vegetable Soup
- 1 TBSP of vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stick of celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 6 florets of broccoli, but into bite sized pieces
- 3oog of
- mixed white fish
- cut into small pieces (we used hake, haddock and cod)
- 1.3 litres of fish stock
- 1 tsp of dried parsley
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 100g of frozen peas
- 50g of fresh beans cut into 2cm pieces
- 175 ml of dry white wine
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Sauté the onions, celery, carrots and broccoli for 15-20 min. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the fish, stock and parsley. Season with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on high for2.5-3 hours. Add the peas, beans and wine halfway through the cooking time.
- Ladle into large soups bowls and serve with crusty bread
Disclosure: Our Fish was compliments of DelishFish
Now it’s over to you to share what you’ve had bubbling away in your slow cooker. For a full list of recipes shared over the week pop over to our Pinterest Board. Thanks for joining in.
My offering for Slow Cooker Sunday, where we come together and share our recipes, this week is a traditional Chicken and Mushroom Pot Pie with a twist. I saw a photo of one online with a pastry perched on top and I was intrigued. As you know pastry really is a ‘no go’ in a slow cooker. In the end, I cobbled together a couple of recipes with very pleasing results and it was incredibly easy. I may try a Steak and Ale pie next.
Cooking Time: 6-8 hours
500g of skinless boneless chicken thighs, cubed
2 large carrots, diced
2 sticks of celery, diced
2 TBSP butter
1 medium onion
125g of button mushrooms, halved
2 heaped TBSP of plain flour
400 ml chicken stock
Salt and Pepper
Couple of pinches of dried Thyme
1 bay leaf
140g frozen peas
Ready Rolled Puff Pastry
- Bring a sauce pan of water to a boil. Boil the chicken, carrots and celery for 10 minutes. Drain and place in the slow cooker.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a frying pan and sauté the onions and mushrooms for 2-3 minutes until they start to soften. Sprinkle with flour and mix well for about a minute.
- Gradually add the stock over a medium heat, it should thicken, season with salt and pepper. Add the Thyme and Bay Leaf. Pour over the chicken mixture in the slow cooker, mix well, cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, stir in the frozen peas.
- To make the pastry topping, preheat the oven to 200 degrees, unroll the sheet of pastry and find something 10cm in diameter to cut circles. I used one of my daughter’s toy pans from her play kitchen. Place on a baking tray and cook for ten minutes.
Place a large serving of the chicken mixture in a bowl and top with the pastry.
Feel free to join in and add your own recipes on the Linky below. If you don’t have a blog you can always leave your recipes in the comment section below.
For more of our favourite slow cooker recipes click here.
Looking for some Slow Cooking inspiration then you’ve come to the right place. Every Sunday, we come together and share some of our favourite recipes. Please feel free to have a nosey, like a few and if you have a recipe you’d like to share please do join in.
If you’re a blogger there is a linky at the bottom. However, if you do not have a blog please leave your recipes in the comment section at the bottom.
We do have a fandangled badge but it’s not obligatory. Feel free to link up old or new recipes. The only thing we ask is that you have cooked it and loved it yourself!
Thanks for stopping by!