My offering for Slow Cooker Sunday, where we come together and share our recipes, this week is a traditional Chicken and Mushroom Pot Pie with a twist. I saw a photo of one online with a pastry perched on top and I was intrigued. As you know pastry really is a ‘no go’ in a slow cooker. In the end, I cobbled together a couple of recipes with very pleasing results and it was incredibly easy. I may try a Steak and Ale pie next.
Cooking Time: 6-8 hours
500g of skinless boneless chicken thighs, cubed
2 large carrots, diced
2 sticks of celery, diced
2 TBSP butter
1 medium onion
125g of button mushrooms, halved
2 heaped TBSP of plain flour
400 ml chicken stock
Salt and Pepper
Couple of pinches of dried Thyme
1 bay leaf
140g frozen peas
Ready Rolled Puff Pastry
- Bring a sauce pan of water to a boil. Boil the chicken, carrots and celery for 10 minutes. Drain and place in the slow cooker.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a frying pan and sauté the onions and mushrooms for 2-3 minutes until they start to soften. Sprinkle with flour and mix well for about a minute.
- Gradually add the stock over a medium heat, it should thicken, season with salt and pepper. Add the Thyme and Bay Leaf. Pour over the chicken mixture in the slow cooker, mix well, cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, stir in the frozen peas.
- To make the pastry topping, preheat the oven to 200 degrees, unroll the sheet of pastry and find something 10cm in diameter to cut circles. I used one of my daughter’s toy pans from her play kitchen. Place on a baking tray and cook for ten minutes.
Place a large serving of the chicken mixture in a bowl and top with the pastry.
Feel free to join in and add your own recipes on the Linky below. If you don’t have a blog you can always leave your recipes in the comment section below.
For more of our favourite slow cooker recipes click here.
7 thoughts on “Slow Cooker Sunday – Chicken and Mushroom Pie (13 May 2012)”
Woohoo, I have every component of this recipe, it will be tomorrows dinner! Yum. I love it when I don’t have to shop.
Another great slow cooker delight for me to try out, thanks for this!!
My mouth is positively watering now! Thanks I’m off to raid the fridge! xx
looks so good makes me want to slow down and chew my food!