Thanks to Martin (@martindale52) for sharing his most recent Chilli recipe. He’s been using a slow cooker for years and is much more confident than me and loves to wing it. If you like a bit of heat this ones for you!
I particularly like his method of cooking!
Yesterday I decided a chilli would be a good idea, this what I did. Into the slow cooker I put:
- 500g of minced beef (I don’t brown the meat beforehand.)
- 1 finely chopped onion (raw)
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 1 ltr beef stock (I use Knorr intense beef stockpots)
- 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 1 or 2 tsp Nando’s Peri Peri sauce
- 1 tsp heaped hot chilli powder or 1 level tsp mild
- Stir well with a wooden spoon
- Set the slow cooker to low, and cook for several hours (4 to 6) go to the pub, meet friends and drink sort of responsibly.
- On your return, stir in a 200g tin of red kidney beans & prepare a simple salad of your choice with lemon juice & olive oil.
Enjoy. If you have any left over, you can either freeze it or put it in the fridge for an encore in a couple of days time.
When I first received the recipe I was a bit worried. I like my food with a bit of kick but this looked very hot. I wish I hadn’t but I opted for mild chilli powder and medium Peri Peri sauce. In future, I would follow the recipe to a ‘T’ and go for a bit of fire.
I also added 25g of dark chocolate when I added the kidney beans, recommended by Martin, but makes it smooth.
The only other thing I may do the next time I cook it is I may sauté the onions first and brown the mince and possibly use a bit less liquid as I like my chilli thick.
Other than that it was lovely! As you can see by the picture we served it with tortilla chips, a dollop of sour cream and topped with a few chilli peppers.
Thanks Martin for another recipe to add to my stash!
4 thoughts on “Waterhouse’s Mouth Watering Slow Cooker Chilli”
That looks yummy. I like the idea of adding the Nando’s sauce!
Thanks for the inivte last night – I had a fab time! Any chance you could send round some of that chilli – it sounds just what I need today?
Well that looks very different, I may have to pass this on to a friend and get them to cook it as I am terrible at cooking lol.
I’m really beginning to warm to this slow cooker lark, that sounds fabulous.