When I first put all the ingredients in the slow cooker, I really wasn’t convinced and if I’m honest, I thought it was going to be gross. But, I was pleasantly surprised as it was gorgeous and we’ve had it at least another 4 times since.
Recipe: Chorizo and Sweet Potato Soup
Summary: A surprisingly tasty soup with an interesting mix of chickpeas, chorizo sausage and sweet potatoes
- 2 TPSP of olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp of Lazy Garlic or 2 cloves
- 170g of Chorizo Sausage, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3/4 tsp of paprika
- 1/2 tsp of dried thyme
- 1 litre of chicken stock
- 1 TBSP of tomato puree
- 375g of sweet potato, bite size pieces
- 400g chickpeas, drained
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, saute the onions for approx 3 minutes until they are soft.
- Add the garlic and sausage and cook for a further two minutes.
- Mix in the paprika, thyme, chicken stock and puree, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Place the sweet potatoes in the slow cooker, pour over the sauce, mix well, cook and cover on low for 6-8 hours.
- Ladle into large soup bowls, garnish with parsley and serve with crusty bread.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 6 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Note: This recipe was originally by Sara Lewis of 200 Slow Cooker recipes, but has been modified ever so slightly.