Slow Cooker Sunday: Black-eyed Bean Soup with Peppers and Coconut Milk
Recipe Type: Main
Cuisine: Slow Cooker
Weirdly, when I first came across this recipe I was attracted to the coconut milk, but when I thought about the combination of tastes I wasn’t sure, but it really did work well.
- 1 TBSP of Sunflower Oil
- 1 large leek, trimmed and sliced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp of dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds crushed
- 500ml of vegetable stock
- 1 tsp of light brown sugar
- salt and pepper to season
- 2x 400g tins of black-eyed beans, drained and rinsed
- 400 ml tin of light coconut milk
- Dried Coriander
- lime wedges to serve
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the leek and peppers and sauté for 3-5 minutes until the onions soften. Add the chilli flakes and cumin seeds and mix well for about a minute.
- Add the stock, stir in the brown sugar until it dissolves and season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Put the beans into the slow cooker and pour over the stock mixture. Add the coconut milk, stir, cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Serve with wedges of lime, garnish with dried coriander and some crusty bread.
If you have any recipes you’d like to share, please do add them to the Linky below.
And if you need extra inspiration, don’t forget to check out our Pinterest Board, with over a hundred recipes.
Google+ fans, we also have a Community ‘All Things Slow Cooking’ feel free to join in.
And if you subscribe to my blog, using the form in the sidebar you can get a free copy of my first ever eBook ‘There’s More to Slow Cooking than Stews – 10 Recipes to get you going’.
9 thoughts on “Slow Cooker Sunday: Black-eyed Bean Soup with Peppers and Coconut Milk”
Well I didn’t get to make the carrot cake.My hand mixer got clogged up with icing sugar last week and wouldn’t work so I bought a new one that cost me twice as much as I usually spend.It doesn’t work at all so I’m taking it back tomorrow.So I’ve linked up this old post and I’ll try the carrot cake again tomorrow.
Thanks Aly. Do let me know if you manage to master a carrot cake!
I’m attracted to any recipe with coconut milk too! Love coconut. I hadn’t heard of black eyed beans until I went to wholefoods the other week. What do they taste like?
This is the first time I’ve joined in with SCS so I hope my recipe is suitable. X
To be honest, they don’t have a distinct flavour taste like beans really. Thanks for joining in and the recipe is perfect!
This is my kind of soup, yum :-)
Excellent! Let me know how you get on!
Yum! Printed and cooking already!